Sedalia Missouri Shopping
Buckle at Thompson Hills Shopping Center sells men's and women's clothing, including men's, women's and children's clothing, as well as accessories and accessories for women and men.
Most of the early business was limited to the Thompson Hills Shopping Center and the adjacent parking lot. Other shops included a gas station, a grocery store and a liquor store in the same building as Buckle.
First, bricks had to be brought in from Boonville, Washington, and Jefferson City in 1866, when a brickyard was established three miles north of the city. Large stores in Otterville and Syracuse, as well as Tipton, moved to Sedalia, where a grocery store, gas station and liquor store were located in the same building as Buckle's. They also moved to Georgetown, a county town just a few miles north in Sedia. In 1868, what is now Thompson Hills Shopping Center, then Missouri's largest shopping center, was built on the site of a former train station south of downtown.
The building housed a dining room and a second floor with offices, and the Sedalia depot housed the dining rooms and offices on the second floor. The building has a restaurant, a gas station, a grocery store, a liquor store and an office building.
The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad Roundhouse was located on Broadway and Hancock, and the depot was located on the west side. The Missouri Pacific Railroad also had a depot at Third and Engineer Streets and Broadway in Sedalia, as well as a gas station and a grocery store. While the railway was building, it continued to build and set up a new depot on Fourth and Third Streets, the first of its kind in the city, both on the east side and on the third, Engineering Street and Road. The liner depot is located on Fifth Avenue, with a restaurant, gas stations, grocery stores, a liquor store and an office building.
The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad also established a hospital in Sedalia at the corner of South Ohio Street and Main Street in 1871. The business district began to move south along the main street, with 22 brick buildings erected in 1871 in the South and Ohio, and the Missouri Pacific Railroad erected a brick building on Third and Third Streets, the first of its kind in the city. In 1872, Sedalia received a second railroad when it came from Katy, along with a new depot at Fourth and Engineer Streets and Fourth Avenue.
More Pacific business led to a significant population increase in Sedalia, with the city employing about 2,000 men working for one of the two railroads at the time. By the end of the 19th century, MK & T had a total of 1,000 employees in the Kansas City, Kansas and Texas departments, of which about 500 worked for the Sedalia division. By the 1940s, the city had largely recovered and had 20,428 residents, but even here, all Missouri businesses employed more than 1,000 men. Although KATY restricted its operations in the 20th century, many of its buildings on Third and Third Streets and Fourth Avenue were converted into shops and office space for Kansas Central Railroad. Katy's property was home to a large number of employees, most of them employees of Kansas State University, as well as employees of the Sedia Division and employees from other Kansas cities.
The Depression took its toll on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, which eventually closed its shops and reopened after World War II. Employment at Missouri Pacific's stores fell by 450 people in the 1940s, according to the Kansas City Times, as demand for passenger train services declined, fueled by the growth of the auto industry. As a result, the last Missouri - Kansas - Texas train passed Sedalia without passenger service on May 1, 1941.
By then, the Price Missouri expedition, associated with the Confederate Army and its sympathizers, had surrounded Sedalia, overpowered it and began to plunder and pillage the city. As a result, it became a popular destination for Confederates - sympathizer soldiers who kept the Sedalia residents in high spirits.
The city's continued prosperity as a whole meant that the central business district along South Ohio Avenue expanded and growth continued. Sedalia remained a commercial center even after the railroad replacement and continued to serve as a commercial center for the state of Missouri and other states and territories.
It can be said with certainty that no city in the interior of Missouri is cursed or blessed by the present war more than Sedalia. The historic downtown is full of shops and restaurants to enjoy while exploring the railway and ragtime history of Sedia. Located just a few miles south of US Routes 50 and 50th Street, it provided residents and businesses with access to the Interstate, Missouri State Highway System and Interstate Highway System.